Filter by topic and date
Proposed Process to Conduct Assessment Activity of IETF Administrative Support Activity
- Jason LivingoodIETF Administration LLC Board Chair
12 Apr 2021
After three years of operation, the IETF Administration LLC (IETF LLC) is preparing to conduct a complete assessment of the structure, processes, and operation of the IETF Administrative Support Activity (IASA 2.0) and the IETF LLC. Before beginning this work, we are soliciting community feedback on the proposed timeline and process we will use to conduct the retrospective.
The assessment is required by BCP 101, which specifies the IETF Administrative Support Activity, including the IETF LLC. If you have any feedback, please provide it within the next two weeks, by the end of the day on 26 April 2021 via the public discussion mailing list, email@example.com.
- April: Community input on the retrospective process
- May: Planning for the retrospective
- June - September: Conduct the retrospective, including community input at every step
- October: Write the report for the community on the results of the retrospective
- November: Present the report during the IETF 112 meeting plenary
- Create a list of goals and requirements from RFC 8711 and the Design Team Recommendations, and all other relevant IASA2 working group documents, then assess performance or progress towards meeting each item. This may help to highlight any areas where additional work may be needed.
- Create a list of administrative, financial, legal, or operational gaps; areas of improvement; and any areas of under-specification or over-specification in IASA2 documents that the IETF LLC Board, IETF Secretariat, IETF Executive Director, or the IETF community perceive.
- The assessment may include recommendations for future changes or work. This could conceivably lead to the reactivation of the IASA2 working group or other work to be determined at the conclusion of the retrospective.
- Documents will be maintained in a publicly accessible repository for continuous feedback from the community as the work progresses.
- In addition, periodic status reports will be provided as this work progresses.
Feedback is requested generally, as well as on these specific questions:
- Does this proposed timeline properly balance providing sufficient time for community input against the need to complete the report on a timely basis?
- Does the proposed approach sound reasonable?
- Is anything missing in the proposed timeline and approach?
- What stakeholders outside of the IETF should be consulted?
- Should the IETF LLC retain a consultant with expertise in non-profit governance to conduct an independent assessment, as a supplement to this plan?