Skip to main content
  • IETF 117 Highlights

    IETF 117 is a few weeks behind us and Dhruv Dhody, IAB Member and liaison to the IESG, took the opportunity to report on a few highlights and some impressions.

    • Dhruv DhodyIAB Member and liaison to the IESG
    21 Aug 2023
  • Proposed response to meeting venue consultations and the complex issues raised

    The IETF Administration LLC recently sought feedback from the community on the possibility of holding an IETF Meeting in the cities of Beijing, Istanbul, Kuala Lumpur and Shenzhen, with received feedback including views that were well expressed and well argued but strongly conflicting. The IETF LLC has considered this feedback in-depth and now seeks community feedback on its proposed response.

    • Jay DaleyIETF Executive Director
    21 Aug 2023
  • Submit Birds of a Feather session proposals for IETF 118

    Now's the time to submit Birds of a Feather session (BOFs) ideas for the IETF 118 meeting 4-10 November 2023, with proposals due by 8 September.

      16 Aug 2023
    • Applied Networking Research Workshop 2023 Review

      More than 250 participants gathered online and in person for ANRW 2023, the academic workshop that provides a forum for researchers, vendors, network operators, and the Internet standards community to present and discuss emerging results in applied networking research.

      • Maria ApostolakiANRW Program co-chair
      • Francis YanANRW Program co-chair
      16 Aug 2023
    • IETF 117 post-meeting survey

      IETF 117 San Francisco was held 22-28 July 2023 and the results of the post-meeting survey are now available on a web-based interactive dashboard.

      • Jay DaleyIETF Executive Director
      11 Aug 2023

    Filter by topic and date

    Filter by topic and date

    IETF 107 Cancellation Administrative Follow-up

    • Jay DaleyIETF Executive Director

    10 Mar 2020

    Following the announcement by the IESG and the IRTF Chair that the in-person IETF 107 Vancouver meeting is being cancelled, this is an update on various financial and administrative details.

    1. Meeting registration fees:

    • Starting now we will be refunding any cancellation fee that we have retained for the cancellation of an in-person registration.

    • Starting in 48 hours time we will begin to refund in full all registration fees for those registered to participate in-person.  

    • Unfortunately we are not able to roll forward the registration fee to IETF 108 Madrid for a number of administrative and financial reasons, most notably the different taxation requirements between Canada and Spain.

    • We are aware that some people do not want their registrations fees refunded and have asked us to convert it to a donation, which we will do.  Anyone else who prefers this option please let us know at before the refund process starts.

    • The delay of 48 hours is to give us time to see if we can process all refunds automatically, but if that is not possible then each registration will be processed manually by the Secretariat team and this will take some time. 

    2. Hotel bookings in contracted hotels:

    • If you are booked at the Hyatt, Metropolitan or Sutton Place hotels then you can cancel with 72 hours notice and no cancellation fee.

    • If you are booked at the Fairmont hotel and have paid the one-night non-refundable deposit, they have informed us that they will refund this deposit.  

    • If you are booked at the Coast Coal Harbour Hotel then we understand that they retain the right to keep the deposit.  We are working with them to see if they will consider waiving that given the extraordinary circumstances.

    3. Financial impact on the LLC:

    • We are discussing with the venue the possibility of rescheduling the meeting to a later year.  Doing this may mean back-to-back North American meetings.

    • We particularly want to thank the meeting host, Huawei, for supporting us fully in these difficult circumstances. 

    • Our sponsors have been contacted and a number have already responded that they wish to sponsor the virtual meeting or roll forward their sponsorship to the next in-person meeting, for which we want to express our thanks. 

    • We have comprehensive insurance and are exploring what claims we can make.

    • We expect that we will still need to dip into reserves to cover substantial unavoidable costs but we do not anticipate any significant financial impact from doing so.

    If you have any questions or comments then please feel free to contact me directly.

    Share this page